[SATLUG] Computer Show

David Kowis dkowis at shlrm.org
Thu Feb 12 09:20:09 CST 2009

Quoting Nathan <nathan at gvtc.com>:

> At the meeting tonight we starting talking about the March 14th
> Computer Show.
>
> Our focus for that show will be Accounting and Business software
> other then the standard 'Office' types. This could include Point Of
> Sale and Project Management software.
>
> For the May 30th show we started talking about 'control' software
> such as Don had one time running a model train or robotics.
>
> Nathan

That's pretty awesome. Well the Accounting and Business software.

There's KMyMoney2 and GnuCash. Those are probably the leaders in open
source. I wouldn't discount QuickBooks, via wine or crossover office.
QuickBooks is like the defacto standard. Supposedly it works in
wine/crossover office.
Most business types, unless they've got a hook for Open Source
software, want stuff to just work. The software is a tool in their
money making arsenal. If it seems to cost them money to do it, and
sometimes time is more valuable than money, they probably won't be
interested. At least, that's my experience with it.

I don't know of any PoS software, however I do know that CircuitCity
used to use something written on a linux platform to handle their
Point of Sale stuff. I'd be interested to know what people find.
That'd be fun to set up :)

--
David Kowis
Source Mage Linux - www.sourcemage.org