[SATLUG] ISP support - how to get the best support possible

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 04:15:53 CST 2009

Having worked with major ISPs and vendors of computer equipment/services, I
would urge you to remember that you're dealing with people under time
constraints and with non-existent to limited knowledge about operating
systems other than those from Microsoft . A lot of my teammates knew nothing
about GNU/Linux, and so they figured that by getting you off the phone
quickly they were able to save face, as well as help their stats. Even
though I'm working with very expensive equipment, I am still under a time
constraint, but it's not so limited as with an ISP. Generally speaking, ISP
helpdesk personnel are going to go by scripts to a certain degree, and they
can't get around that. Your challenge is to be pleasant to the person on the
other end of the line and get them to want to help you. I can't emphasize
that enough, you'd be surprised what you can get accomplished if you are
nice to the helpdesk people. I used to have to deal with a lot of people who
would be nasty and it's part of the business, but I've never seen a negative
customer get better support than a friendly, understanding customer.  If you
have to call and get a modem provisioned or something else, one can still
get help, by using certain phrasing. Beyond dealing with provisioning and
certain things that require you to deal with the ISP, try to do everything
yourself and search the internet for settings and so forth, it will save you
a lot of frustration. I've posted previously about my ISP experiences, and
about how to deal with ISP personnel, so you might look up my messages.