[SATLUG] Icons

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Wed Feb 18 09:40:48 CST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 20:50, Mike Wallace <m.a.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me for this is not Linux specific.  I am looking for some good icon
> sets (mainly general application) that can be used commercially.  I have run
> across a couple totally free libraries, but the vast majority are "free" but
> only if you use them personally.  The rules change for commercial products,
> and it seems that every graphic artist has their own idea of what
> "commercial" is.  Just look at all the variations there are in a CC license,
> let alone those who don't use a CC license.  Right now I am writing some
> "proof of concept" software, so I would like it to look nice for demo
> purposes, but I don't want to include anything that has commercial
> limitations.  Knowing me, I would totally forget that the icon set was
> restricted if any of the demos were to move forward.  I don't know how many
> web and/or GUI developers there are on this list, but do know of any good,
> completely free icon sets and perhaps other graphics as well?  And for extra
> credit, anyone know of some free (commercially) sound effect libraries?
>
> TIA,
> Mike
> --

You might try these: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/

The Silk icons are CC Attribution 2.5: "This means you may use it for
any purpose, and make any changes you like. All I ask is that you
include a link back to this page in your credits (although a giant
link on every page of your website really isn't needed, contact me to
discuss specifics). "

The Flag and Mini icons are public domain

The other icon sites I use are Icon Finder [1] and Tango [2].  The
licenses on the icons at Icon Finder I believe will vary, but might be
worth checking out.

[1] http://www.iconfinder.net/
[2] http://tango.freedesktop.org/

--
JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */