[SATLUG] Scarry stuff...How to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:43:10 CST 2009

As Linux grabs more market share on the home desktop, its only natural,
a matter of time, before the bad guys start (if they haven't already)
writing exploits for it, and, as the article shows, finding ways to get
around root to execute them.  And, if that's not enough, many of the
same Java exploits that work in Winderz will also at least load on a
Linux machine (Verifier Bug and Black Box Class, for example), whether
or not they'll actually run at present.

Many anti-virus program writers are concerned enough about it to write
Linux versions of their software, and are ever on the look-out for
dedicated exploits.  Most of the forward-looking Kaspersky-engined AV
companies produce and disseminate Linux variants of their wares.  I'm
currently testing two - AVG and Avast!  Can't say, beyond the Java
exploits, that I've found anything, but I've always thought it was worth
a look...

See Virus Bulletin at http://www.virusbtn.com/index.

Cheers;
Ed