[SATLUG] Installing a PCI Graphics Card into Fedora 9

Peter Cross pjcrux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:19:52 CST 2009

OK to set the record straight... I'm new to Linux and am attempting to bone
up on other platforms before beginning cert classes and testing.

I'm at the end of my rope! I'm using Fedora 9 with the Amahi Repo to run as
a home server for backups, file sharing, FTP, etc. I'm trying to install a
graphics card so that I can use my tv as a monitor instead of having to take
apart the home computer. The War Department (AKA the missus) has delivered a
declaration of hostility to me via a certified ultimatum to get the server
up and running or to take it down.

The following instructions were provided by nvidia to install a 5200:

*STEP 1:* Review the NVIDIA Software
License<http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html>
.*(ok... did that)*

You will need to accept this license prior to downloading any files.

*STEP 2:* Download the Driver File *(easy peasy)*

*Download* - NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run<http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run>

SuSE users: please read the SuSE NVIDIA Installer
HOWTO<http://www.suse.de/%7Esndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html>before
downloading the driver.

*STEP 3:* Install
Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run" to install the driver. NVIDIA
now provides a utility to assist you with configuration of your X server
configuration file<http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidia-xconfig/nvidia-xconfig-1.0.tar.gz>.
Please see Chapter 3 of the
README<http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-03.html>or
run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage. Instructions for those
wishing to edit their X config file by hand can also be found in the
README<http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/index.html>
.*(Not sure what this Means! HELP)*

If you have any questions or problems, please check the NVIDIA Linux
discussion forum<http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14>.
If you don't find an answer to your question there, you can send email (in
English) to linux-bugs at nvidia.com.

When emailing linux-bugs at nvidia.com, please attach an nvidia-bug-report.log,
which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".
I've logged in as the root and tried to run the command string but then it
states that the "user is not valid"

I've gone into the permissions on the file and changed it so that it will
run as an executable file.

Please help this young Jedi Padawan....

--
Cheers!