[SATLUG] Installing a PCI Graphics Card into Fedora 9

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:10:28 CST 2009

I forgot to mention that you will need to change directories to where the nvidia install utility is kept...

After killing the display manager and returning to terminal 3 (tty3), you will need to do 'cd /home/username/path/to/where/the/nvidia/file/is'. Such as: 'cd /home/peter/Desktop' or wherever you saved the NVIDIA.run file.

Next type 'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run' to run the nvidia install utility.

If all goes well with no errors, you will be able to type 'kdm' to run kde's display manager, or gdm (or gdm-bin, I forget) for Gnome display manager. Or you can type 'reboot' and let the machine restart and you should get to the login screen like normal.

You will need to have the kernel-source package installed to be able to complete the nvidia utility as well.

John C.