[SATLUG] Scarry stuff...How to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps

James Tiner jtiner at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 14:13:07 CST 2009

OK, I read them (quickly) and still stand by my assertion that it is an
example of a trojan. As with all trojans (targeted at Windows, Mac, or
any *nix), the user has to be responsible for their action. There is no
way to make an OS completely safe, especially from social engineering
exploits as we can't install Linux to a users brain. The only way to
counter these kinds of attacks is not to approach it as an exploit
vector but to approach it as a training issue.

In fact, the best way for a home user to mitigate the issues caused by
this is to tell them to Backup (good advice no matter what system is
used), Don't open attachments unless you were expecting it and it comes
from a trusted source (good advice no matter what system is used), and
Backup (I know, I said it twice but it's the part everyone forgets!!!)

like you said, an empty stall is a clean stall but not very profitable
(paraphrased) but who is responsible for cleaning it when it is used?
the person who built it or the person who owns it? I think it would be
better to teach the owner how to use the shovel... :)