[SATLUG] Installing a PCI Graphics Card into Fedora 9

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 14:23:55 CST 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009 13:35:42 Peter Cross wrote:
> I've tried that (I believe) but I'm not sure what you mean by "without X
> running"
>
> educate the unenlightened....

X refers to the graphical environment which Linux desktop users interact with. Also known as X-Windows and xorg, it is essentially a mini operating system which runs on top of Linux, Unix, BSD, and other Unix-type systems.
http://www.x.org
X provides drivers for graphics adapters, monitors, keyboards and mice and a graphical environment in which to use those as well as drawing application windows etc. KDE and Gnome are the desktop managers which will provide the actual program windows (window frames and title bars), icons, menus, desktops etc. KDE and Gnome both require X in order to run.
X needs to be shut down while installing the nvidia driver when using nvidia's .run file. Hence, KDE and Gnome are shut down as well.