[SATLUG] ISP support - how to get the best support possible - rebuttal

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:00:22 CST 2009

> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:24:04 -0600 From: Henry Pugsley <
> henry.pugsley at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SATLUG] ISP support - how to get the best support possible
> Yeah, keep in mind that most tech support is just a call center where the
> primary performance stat is how many calls are answered and how long they
> take. Agents are given a crash course in 90 percent of what people call for
> and the rest are escalated or blown off. This way they can keep costs down
> with minimal investment in new employees .. many use temp agencies for
> staffing too. Its too risky to spend resources training "experts" who may
> leave. Seems like customer service is considered unskilled laber these days
> and 2 weeks of training is sufficient for a technical call center rep.
>
> -Henry

What ISPs are you discussing? What do you base your assessment upon ? Having
seen the corporate side of tech support (what other side is there?), what
you describe is nothing like what I've experienced. If you want to look down
your nose and sneer at me, have at it. I used to work for a big player
communications company there (not an ISP) and my teammates would have to
call up major broadband providers when something went wrong and my teammates
would often complain of the service. I'd call the same reps and I would have
no problems. You want to know why? Because I treated the reps with dignity
and respect. If you communicate with helpdesk personnel with outlook that
goes with this kind of  misrepresentation, I can't help but wonder what they
think after they hang up the phone. Besides, being "unskilled labor," I
should be thankful to be allowed to post on SATLUG's mailing list.