[SATLUG] Installing a PCI Graphics Card into Fedora 9

Robert Waldo rjw6844 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 21:10:51 CST 2009

you going about this the hard way.  Why not  use the RPM Fusion repository
and use "yum install kmod-nvidia"?
I used the Nvidia driver several years ago and it installed their software
which created another application to manage the display settings.  If  you
like the Nvidia splash screen, then use their driver.
Later I chose the RRM fusion repository, because it auto updates if you have
yum-dates turned on.
Look here: http://rpmfusion.org/ if you have questions.

Bob Waldo

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Charles Hogan <
cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com> wrote:

> John D Choate wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 19 February 2009 13:19:52 Peter Cross wrote:
>>
>>> OK to set the record straight... I'm new to Linux and am attempting to
>>> bone
>>> up on other platforms before beginning cert classes and testing.
>>>
>>> I'm at the end of my rope! I'm using Fedora 9 with the Amahi Repo to run
>>> as
>>> a home server for backups, file sharing, FTP, etc. I'm trying to install
>>> graphics card so that I can use my tv as a monitor instead of having to
>>> take
>>> apart the home computer. The War Department (AKA the missus) has
>>> delivered a
>>> declaration of hostility to me via a certified ultimatum to get the
>>> server
>>> up and running or to take it down.
>>>
>>> The following instructions were provided by nvidia to install a 5200:
>>>
>>> *STEP 1:* Review the NVIDIA Software
>>> License<http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html>
>>> .*(ok... did that)*
>>>
>>> You will need to accept this license prior to downloading any files.
>>>
>>> *STEP 2:* Download the Driver File *(easy peasy)*
>>>
>>> *Download* - NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12.pkg1.run<
>>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run
>>> >

>>> SuSE users: please read the SuSE NVIDIA Installer
>>> HOWTO<http://www.suse.de/%7Esndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html>before
>>> downloading the driver.
>>>
>>> *STEP 3:* Install
>>> Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg1.run" to install the driver.
>>> NVIDIA
>>> now provides a utility to assist you with configuration of your X server
>>> configuration file<
>>> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidia-xconfig/nvidia-xconfig-1.0.tar.gz
>>> Please see Chapter 3 of the
>>> README<
>>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-03.html
>>> run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage. Instructions for those
>>> wishing to edit their X config file by hand can also be found in the
>>> README<
>>> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/index.html
>>> >
>>> .*(Not sure what this Means! HELP)*
>>>
>>> If you have any questions or problems, please check the NVIDIA Linux
>>> discussion forum<
>>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14>.
>>> If you don't find an answer to your question there, you can send email
>>> (in
>>> English) to linux-bugs at nvidia.com.
>>>
>>> When emailing linux-bugs at nvidia.com, please attach an
>>> nvidia-bug-report.log,
>>> which is generated by running "nvidia-bug-report.sh".
>>> I've logged in as the root and tried to run the command string but then
>>> it
>>> states that the "user is not valid"
>>>
>>> I've gone into the permissions on the file and changed it so that it will
>>> run as an executable file.

> [...]

The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the
word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
 - Larry Hardiman