[SATLUG] Re: thank you Geoff

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Feb 20 07:37:44 CST 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> never knew you could do that.  didn't know what "filter" meant like in gmail
> so i never messed with it...

While in the regular message viewing mode, select a  message by
highlighting it, then in the tool bar, go to "message" then "create
filter from message" and you can see all of the options.

One filter I created is [SATLUG].  If the tag [SATLUG] appears in the
subject line, then all of the [SATLUG] mail is automagically moved to
the [SATLUG] folder, when it comes in.  Let's be clear... this is all
being done in Thunderbird.  All my mail comes to one central point.

> Oh, and i completely forgot abt Thunderbird mail too.

yep.  I use Thunderbird mail as my client.  You can even get gmail
delivered to your thunderbird client, using pop3.
The ports are different, but there are detailed instructions on the
gmail mail page.

> I always thought the new Yahoo mail was so ad ladened,

For Firefox, go to "add-ons" and search out "adblock plus".  After you
install that, there's a stop-sign somewhere on one of the toolbars, you
can select what to, and what not-to look at.  Ads are blocked.
Shockwave and flash images can be blocked as well.  There are other
ad-blocking add-ons available, too.

> I was glad it would
> freeze up my system and not display properly..so I could still use the
> "classic".  I used classic since I was on Windoze in the early 90's or
> whenever Yahoo mail began, only switching to Linux about 3 years ago.  I
> have a lot of files with email in them on Yahoo so I don't tamper with that
> acct.

when you get your filters setup and/or get pop3 setup for yahoo to have
it delivered to your thunderbird client you can then start the arduous
task of forwarding each of those, attachments and all, to your
thunderbird client.  This way, the mail you want to keep on Yahoo is now
kept on your home computer, instead of some free server, that's
available for hacking.

You can have as many accounts in Thunderbird as you like.  Gmail would
be one account.  Cheryl at yahoo.com would be another account,
cholmes at your_isp.ext could be yet another account.  The number of
accounts is limitless in Thunderbird.  I think there's 10 different
email addresses on my remote client (accessed in San Antonio via remote
from Houston).  I have 9 accounts on my local machine.  Some are
duplicates, but each have mail in them that I need to keep. By having
your mail on your machine, everything comes to one handy-dandy
convenient place, and you don't have to crawl the web for mail and be
attacked by ads possibly containing spyware and malware.  I only accept
cookies from the originating site I chose to go to.  Remote cookies are
-not- allowed, here.

> ATT use MS software to spy on us you know, so they will never be Linux
> friendly...c

Even google has spyware.

Are you -really- interested in helping fight the cause?  Go to
www.grc.com  Gibson Research Center.  Steve Gibson is the guy who wrote
SpinRite, and that's a harddrive utility program that reads the data of
every sector, moves it to a known safe place on your harddrive, cleans
that sector, making sure the disc surface is ok, and not in danger of
failing anytime soon, then putting that data back, and moving onto the
next sector.  I was using SpinRite back in the mid 80's.  Steve is a
good dude, who also is at war with the script-kiddies and is interested
in helping those who are interested in helping themselves.  LOTS and
Lots of free utilities to help you safe-guard your computer system(s).

Hope this helps others, as well.  I thought this message was directly
from you, Cheryl, but when I replied, it went to the SATLUG list.

Have a great Friday!

Regards,
-Geoff (Houston)