[SATLUG] Debian 5, Lenny--interesting discovery

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 23:43:37 CST 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 23:21:09 -0600, John Champion
<satlugacct at jchampion.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I just wanted to share this. I downloaded Lenny from my new Sony Vaio FW235
>laptop. I was in the process of folding clothes when I discovered it was
>trying to install in Vista. I played along for a second and a couple of
>screens later, Lenny had auto-configured my Vista machine to dual boot to
>Vista and to the Debian Installer. Since I wasn't ready to install I tried
>messing around with the installer. It seems very slick.
>
>I am going to try installing it completely tomorrow. Does anyone have any
>input before I finish off this "accidental" install?

If you'd like to read how the installer is supposed to work, here is a
link to the documentation (scroll down.)
[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Easy installation from Windows is a fairly new feature. You can even do
it from the Web.
http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Work on improving the installer for the next release cycle has begun.
You can send informal comments or a formal installation report to the
group responsible. See the instructions at [1].  --Don