[SATLUG] managing email - worries and concerns over Tbird, Downloading Y mail. Gmail seems best so far IMO

John Champion satlugacct at jchampion.com
Sat Feb 21 18:55:00 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM, D Villarreal <dvprogs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:37:44 -0600 From: Geoff <
> > geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu>
> > > Oh, and i completely forgot abt Thunderbird mail too.
> >
> > yep.  I use Thunderbird mail as my client.  You can even get gmail
> > delivered to your thunderbird client, using pop3. The ports are
> different,
> > but there are detailed instructions on the gmail mail page.
> >

>  I've tried the most recent Thunderbird and transferred over relative's
> email in MS WindowsXP and onto GNU/Linux and it went flawlessly. I had
> heard
> about Thunderbird having some quirks and am a little apprehensive to use
> it.... I've always been happy with Sylpheed.
>

> > > I always thought the new Yahoo mail was so ad ladened,
> >
> > For Firefox, go to "add-ons" and search out "adblock plus".  After you
> > install that, there's a stop-sign somewhere on one of the toolbars, you
> can
> > select what to, and what not-to look at.  Ads are blocked. Shockwave and
> > flash images can be blocked as well.  There are other ad-blocking add-ons
> > available, too.
> >
> > > I was glad it would freeze up my system and not display properly..so I
> > could still use the "classic".  I used classic since I was on Windoze in
> the
> > early 90's or >whenever Yahoo mail began, only switching to Linux about 3
> > years ago.  I have a lot of files with email in them on Yahoo so I don't
> > tamper with that acct.
> > >

> > when you get your filters setup and/or get pop3 setup for yahoo to have
> it
> > delivered to your thunderbird client you can then start the arduous task
> of
> > forwarding each of those, attachments and all, to your thunderbird
> client.
> >  This way, the mail you want to keep on Yahoo is now kept on your home
> > computer, instead of some free server, that's available for hacking.
> >

> It may not be necessary to forward the email, that would take so much time.
> This is where it would be worthwhile using a third-party program to
> download
> Y mail. There are several programs to do this, although I've not tried them
> all and haven't had time. I think I did this one time but that's been a
> long
> time. It would just be easier to get rid of the Y email and just use gmail.
>

> > You can have as many accounts in Thunderbird as you like.  Gmail would

> > Are you -really- interested in helping fight the cause?  Go to
> www.grc.com
> > ... Steve is a good dude, who also is at war with the script-kiddies and
> is
> > interested in helping those who are interested in helping themselves.
>  LOTS
> > and Lots of free utilities to help you safe-guard your computer
> system(s).
> > -Geoff (Houston)
>

> Sounds interesting, thanks for the lead.

I'm not going to try to be the morality police but using a free service like
Yahoo mail, and then blocking the way that they pay for your free account is
kinda like stealing. With that said...you should be aware of OpenDNS.com. If
you set up an account with them, as I have, and set it up to block ads,
porn, gambling, and malware sites, you can go on to Yahoo mail without any
fear of the nefarious Yieldmanager ads that are served via an iFrame called
from a Javascript that pulls data from their Yahoo image server..
Another way around the Yahoo ad issue is to pay them $20/yr for their
premium mail service. I do that now and have a great experience with it. I
use that account for all of my business transactions (things I buy, sell,
etc...)..
I have several Yahoo accounts and several Gmail accounts...and I even host
my personal domain's email on Gmail. It's just a whole lot easier and I use
Thunderbird to bring those accounts together. Maybe that will help you....
Thanks,
john.