[SATLUG] Shopping Question

Andrew Pickens wg5o at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 21:40:58 CST 2009

Please excuse a non-Linux question, but this is the only source of
expert info that I have available.

My daughter-in-law, in central Nevada (Round Mountain), asked the
following.  Since my wife is a phone company retiree, we get a special
rate, and I have no answer.

"We received a mail advertisement yesterday from the DSL provider for
this area. Do you think 39.95 a month for 12 months, and a 5.95 lease
fee, with 99.00 install is reasonable? The rate goes up 10 dollars after
the first year to their basic fee of 49.95. Right now we are paying
22.95 for AT&T dialup. We rarely have issues with it, but it is so slow,
and you can forget about receiving pictures.

"The lease fee is for the satellite and equipment that they have to
install. It is much like the Direct TV equipment that we have now. We
did not buy the satellite dish or the receiver, so we have to lease it.
Although with Direct TV, they waive the fee because we have been with
them for so long."

Thanks,

Andy Pickens