[SATLUG] managing email - worries and concerns over Tbird, Downloading Y mail. Gmail seems best so far IMO

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Feb 23 10:16:52 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 18:55, John Champion <satlugacct at jchampion.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM, D Villarreal <dvprogs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:37:44 -0600 From: Geoff <
> > > geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu>
> >  I've tried the most recent Thunderbird and transferred over relative's
> > email in MS WindowsXP and onto GNU/Linux and it went flawlessly. I had
> > heard about Thunderbird having some quirks and am a little apprehensive
> to use
> > it.... I've always been happy with Sylpheed.

If you use GMail and Y! Mail, you could try the Zimbra Desktop Client.  I
use Hosted Zimbra, MS Exchange (IMAP), and GMail (IMAP) for various
purposes, so it works for me, better than TBird, due to the Zimbra
integration.  It runs cross-platform (Win/Lin/OSX) and allows for offline
use with Zimbra's great search feature, etc.  They are working on syncing
GCal and GContacts as well, so YMMV.

I also used TBird for a while (Web-based mail does not offline), until
Zimbra Desktop took its place (As I was a Zimbra user anyway).

Speaking of Offline, why does google not use Google Gears for Offline Gmail
access?  I use gears for Offline access to both Google Reader and Remember
The Milk, and really like it.  Allows me to use both when I am not connected
to the net, which is very nice.

Yep, got to pay for it somehow.

> > It may not be necessary to forward the email, that would take so much
> time.
> > This is where it would be worthwhile using a third-party program to
> > download Y mail.

As Zimbra was bought by Yahoo, I was under the impression that the "new"
YMail was a derivative of the Zimbra Suite, just retooled a bit to support
ad delivery and other Y-specific stuff.  I don't use YMail, although I do
use the yahoo account for OpenID stuff, so I am not sure how well the Zimbra
Desktop integrates with it, but I am sure that there is at least IMAP.

> >  It would just be easier to get rid of the Y email and just use gmail.

Or use GMail to grab YMail via POP.  I use Zimbra to aggregate all my
accounts (Zimbra supports IMAP account, not just POP, but both aggregators
work the same), and allows for shared mailboxes, OTA Sync for my iPhone, and
the like, but is not free.

HTH,
jp