[SATLUG] Scarry stuff...How to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 15:30:12 CST 2009

Geoff wrote:
> Tweeks wrote:
>
>>> As Linux grabs more market share on the home desktop, its only natural,
>>> a matter of time, before the bad guys start (if they haven't already)
>>> writing exploits for it
>>>

>> I disagree to some degree.  The reason that windows has been so problematic is
>> not JUST because it's the biggest tartget.. but because it's SOOOOOO
>> homogeneous.  It's cookie cutter.. A computer monoculture, if you will.
>>
>> Take this virus/target-culture model into nature.  It's just like a giant
>> domesticated animal farm.  What happens in nature when you have a giant
>> monoculture (cows, banans, etc)?  One ravenous disease comes along and wipes
>> them all out.  So what even if you keep standing new animals back up
>> (reinstalling.. new models, etc).. The same monoculture problem exists and
>> viruses feed on monocultures.
>>
>> This is why nature has differing species, breeds, and strains. In two words..
>> biological diversity.  This is also why I believe that Windows will always be
>> the weaker OS "health wise" and why I believe Linux will never be as hard hit
>> with viri as Windows.  Linux is a chaotic, heterogeneous mix of distros,
>> desktops and packages.. always changing.  No virus can assume that all Linux
>> desktop is running Thunderbird.. or Kmail,  Mutt or Evolution.  I guess a
>> virus writer /could/ include vector-checks for the most common  Linux mail
>> clients out there.. but you still have all the distro differences, seLinux,
>> iptables, filesystem differences, etc.. And that's a huge waste of energy
>> when the virus-yummy monoculture of Windows+Outlook is such a more attractive
>> target.  Such an easier herd to own.  :)
>>
>> Some say that there's safety in numbers...
>> With regards to virus defense, this is not the case...
>> But even more importantly, I say the real safety is in diversity.
>>

> Tom, I grabbed your reply and sent it to a friend who is in the computer
> -service- business.
>
> I thought you'd be interested in his reply.  (after I cleaned up some
> spelling errors... leaving the grammar as is - fair warning)
>

>> He is absolutly correct on all counts.  The stupid american people are
>> to blame.  How many home made cars or specialty equipment such as a
>> steering stick instead of a wheel do you see?  That may be a bad
>> example, but the main thing here is that americans want all things to
>> operate the same and they don't want to learn.  They will only buy big
>> brand names because they feel that anything else is inferior or has
>> very little support because they don't know what makes it tick nor
>> will they learn it, therefore they can't fix it.  PC's only became
>> prominent when a manufactureres such as IBM, Compaq, or Apple started
>> bundling the OS with the equipment because americans in general are
>> too stupid to separate the two things in thier mind.  Most can't even
>> program the clock on the VCR let alone figure out how to hook it up.
> [...]
Possible political rant.  Fair warning...

So, what do we do with a nation full of slobs who have been intentionally and systematically "dumbed-down" over the last 40 years (2-1/2 generations)?  My daughters didn't get half the education that I received, and the one with the masters degree is in love with Vista.  Go figure.  For my student-run computer clinics, I push open source incessantly, and with much success, but, I have yet to have a client accept a Linux OS load when Winderz XP re-load can be had. Again, go figure...

Cheers;
Ed