[SATLUG] Scarry stuff...How to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Thu Feb 26 22:56:21 CST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 09:28:31 am toddwbucy at grandecom.net wrote:
[...]
> It seems to me that your analogy would only hold up if there was a
> distro adoption rate by new non-tech Linux users that is fairly evenly
> spread out among many distros.  That said there are only a hand-full of
> distro's that actively market themselves toward this crowd and Ubuntu is
> currently the leader in this category.  Your analogy may protect us for now
> but should a particular Linux distro become homogenous within a large
> segment of Linux users then I am not so sure.

Maybe to some degree (people who just run what they're given).. but the face
of the matter is.. Ubuntu still has "choice".  And the "Hey what's that?!"
syndrome just helps with the execution of choice.  Even Ubuntu comes with a
plethora of mail clients.  I type thing from a stock Ubuntu load that I've
tweaked to run KDE+Kmail. Many of my friends run Thunderbird.. Some use
Webmail. Others use Mutt.  So even on a monoculture-distro world, there is
still diversity at the app level... which is a good thing. (or, at least
better than Windows+Outlook.

Tweeks