[SATLUG] Scarry stuff...How to write a linux virus in 5 easy steps

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Thu Feb 26 23:07:47 CST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 10:30:17 pm Alan Lesmerises wrote:
> Actually, the points made by Geoff's friend actually supports the
> argument for a common consistent software structure.  It's called
> _Standardization_.  When you have multiple suppliers of something, be it
> software, electrical appliances, telephone equipment, or just plain nuts
> and bolts, if everyone is building things to work under a common set of
> design guidelines (electrical plugs with 2 flat blades of a certain
> size, with one round ground prong separated from the other by so much
> distance, getting 110V of alternating current at 60 Hz, etc.) then
> anyone who wants to build a device that can use that standard design can
> do so and sell that product or service, and know that the customer will
> actually be able to use said product or service.  Having a common
> structure for an OS does simplify the job for a software developer since
> they don't have to write code to work under every possible variant of
> the OS (including directory structure, configuration file locations,
> system settings, etc.), and the customer doesn't have to recompile the
> kernel just to get a particular piece of software to run.

Excuse me.. but you're missing the point.  The OS is not where standardization
is moving.  Heck.. You can't even run the same version of a Windows app
between versions of windows any more!  The standardization that we all need
IS THE WEB.  Why do you think everythign is moving to Software As A Service
as "Web 2.0" and all these other fancy names for "web-aps"?  In the 80's and
eve 90's.. apps were compiled to the platform.  Apps that had to talk to a DB
(oracle, access or MS-SQL) had to be custom built and compiled for target
client platforms (Solaris, Windows, Apple, etc).  Now.. most killer apps are
on line Web-apps (google apps, MS Live, Amazon S3/E2C, Rackspace-cloud, etc).
And the vendors LOVE it because they're not selling software any longer..
they're billing montly for a service... just like AT&T and the power company.

But back to the subject standardization... the real name for what you're
talking about is "Interoperability".   MS is finally starting to get the idea
of interoperability and "play ball".  The previous version of Sharepoint
didn't work for crap with anything but certain versions of IE.  This locked
them out of metrogeneous desktop environemnts (Mac, Linux, etc), as well as
offices with significant groups of non IE browsers users (such as dev and IT
groups).  MS lost many deals in 2006-2008 because of this.  Vendors who sold
IE-only banking software and Fax-gateway software lost deals because they
were not W3C/web-standards compliant (Firefox, Safari, khtml, etc).  Now
those folks (MS included) are all waving the interop flag and making their
stuff work on the web.. regardless of the OS (as it should be).

After all.. the web was developed as a platform agnostic media delivery
system... and MS and other proprietary vendors have tried at ever ycorner to
STOP ineroperability and "win" through de facto standards and what I
cann "protocol leveraging"... But they have lost so much $$$ recently, that
they are just now getting that clue.. and seeing that there's more profit in
playing ball than owning the field.

> behind wheel, turn the key, and you're off to the races.  Most of the
> time, I have to include myself in this group -- if I have work to do, I
> surely don't want to spend several hours troubleshooting some
> configuration problem, or access permissions, etc., just so I can get a
> particular program to run -- I usually have better things to do.

Me too.. And the fact that Turbo-Tax is now web based means that I now
have "permission" from my wife to format my her XP laptop and put Ubuntu on
it.  She's like most other consumers believes that technology should be alike
an appliance. She says, "If my toaster don't make toast.. then I don't want
it!" (speaking about the various IT things I do around the house)

Well.. "toast" for her is being able to check mail, surf, listen to her books
on tape and have me do the taxes wit hTurbo Tax.  She says if we can do all
that on Linux.. then she's fine with it.. The fact that she gets two free
versions of Majong and three different solitare card games is (funny enough)
the winning blow for her. hehe..

So you're right.. people just want to DO STUFF.  The interoperability of the
web is what will save us all from OS slavery... But it's the fun, usefulness
and savings that will win people to open source.

Here's a presentation that I did on the "State of the Lilnux Desktop" than
gets more into the business economics of F/OSS in the work place:
	http://xcssa.org/files/files/LINUX-DESKTOP-2008-03-22/img0.html

Fun discussion..

Cheers,

Tweeks