[SATLUG] considering upgrading, barebones, can you help?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 27 19:38:27 CST 2009

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering upgrading and checking things out.  I prefer AMD
> processors...and want a barebones kit I think.  Should I be looking at
> dual
> core prcessors, or something else, plus what type and level of memory etc
> please?  All kit suggestions etc greatly appreciated...
>
> You guys are the best even if sometimes I forget to let you know
> that..cheryl

Cheryl,

what system should we recommend? that depends entirely on what
you want to do with it. A bit of detail here would help a lot.

wordprocessing, e-mail, browsing, sorting pictures?
high end computing, complex video application, gaming?
need something for on the road?
what's your budget?
what software will you be running and what will you be doing with it?

A little planning will save you a lot of money!

-Borries