[SATLUG] considering upgrading, barebones, can you help?

James Tiner jtiner at satx.rr.com
Fri Feb 27 23:14:05 CST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 19:38 -0600, Borries Demeler wrote:

> what system should we recommend? that depends entirely on what
> you want to do with it. A bit of detail here would help a lot.
>
> wordprocessing, e-mail, browsing, sorting pictures?
> high end computing, complex video application, gaming?
> need something for on the road?
> what's your budget?
> what software will you be running and what will you be doing with it?
>
> A little planning will save you a lot of money!
>
> -Borries

I have to second what Borries is saying. Need a little more info on what
you want to do with it before a good system can be planned for your
needs. That being said, since you said you prefer AMD, I just put
together a machine for a friend with the new AMD Phenom II X3 and it
screamed. Of course, I would have gotten the X4, but he wanted to save a
few bucks so he went with the X3. I think I'll be putting together a
Phenom II X4 system for myself in the near future. :)