[SATLUG] considering upgrading, barebones, can you help?

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Sat Feb 28 00:29:32 CST 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering upgrading and checking things out.  I prefer AMD
> processors...and want a barebones kit I think.  Should I be looking at dual
> core prcessors, or something else, plus what type and level of memory etc
> please?  All kit suggestions etc greatly appreciated...
>
> You guys are the best even if sometimes I forget to let you know
> that..cheryl

Depends what you want it for. Last month I built a couple Asus
Rackmounts. Each had an Asus Rack, Xeon Kensingtons (3220), 4 G RAM, 2
hot swappable ide 160G. Rack came w/ motherboard, fans, 2 nics and
dvd/cdrom. The server starts like a jet engine but then quiets down. I'm
using the servers to host virtual machines, currently kvm, for a small
network. One rack cost $550.

~Jaret