[SATLUG] Board for embedded linux

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sat Feb 28 19:16:56 CST 2009

I have a project to build a small box to act as a transparent ethernet
bridge to monitor activity and log data.  So I will need a board with 2
ethernet controllers.  I could probably get by on less than a 300mhz
cpu, 128mb ram and at least 128mb of flash storage.  I haven't decided
on the OS yet.  I have spent all day looking for a board like this.  I
am kind of new to the embedded scene so trying to decipher the data on
websites that offer system on chip boards like http://www.amcc.com is
confusing.  Seems like the boards that they sell directly are only
development/eval boards?  Or do they not sell boards and only sell chips?

I am trying to stay below $100.  The only thing I have found is the ALIX
stuff.  This will be fine
http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-2B0-Board-2-LAN-2-MINI-PCI_LX700_2?sc=8&category=19
but the price is higher than I wanted.  It has the pci ports that I
don't need and the amd cpu is pricy (vs arm9,ppc ect) so it seems like
there should be something out there that is cheaper.  Is what I am
asking for not come pre fabbed and have to be custom manufactured?
I will probably have to make several of these so having a ready made
cheap enclosure is also a plus.  Anyone know of anything or I am stuck
with ALIX?

Thanks,
Sam