[SATLUG] Board for embedded linux

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sat Feb 28 20:37:08 CST 2009

Dennis Myhand wrote:
> Samuel Leon wrote:
>> I have a project to build a small box to act as a transparent ethernet
>> bridge to monitor activity and log data.  So I will need a board with
>> 2 ethernet controllers.  I could probably get by on less than a 300mhz
>> cpu, 128mb ram and at least 128mb of flash storage.  I haven't decided
>> on the OS yet.  I have spent all day looking for a board like this.  I
>> am kind of new to the embedded scene so trying to decipher the data on
>> websites that offer system on chip boards like http://www.amcc.com is
>> confusing.  Seems like the boards that they sell directly are only
>> development/eval boards?  Or do they not sell boards and only sell chips?
>>
>> I am trying to stay below $100.  The only thing I have found is the
>> ALIX stuff.  This will be fine
>> http://www.mini-box.com/Alix-2B0-Board-2-LAN-2-MINI-PCI_LX700_2?sc=8&category=19
>> but the price is higher than I wanted.  It has the pci ports that I
>> don't need and the amd cpu is pricy (vs arm9,ppc ect) so it seems like
>> there should be something out there that is cheaper.  Is what I am
>> asking for not come pre fabbed and have to be custom manufactured?
>> I will probably have to make several of these so having a ready made
>> cheap enclosure is also a plus.  Anyone know of anything or I am stuck
>> with ALIX?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>>

> Have you tried checking what is listed on http://www.linuxdevices.com/ ?

Yea I was on there several times today.  I have been reading stuff since
early this morning.  I am kind of burned out now.  I think my main issue
was that I was confused with all the new terms "system on chip" "module
on chip" "single board computer" ect.  I think I know the difference
now, but I still haven't found anything.  The need for 2 network
controllers really seems to thin everything out.

Sam