[SATLUG] Board for embedded linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 28 23:59:00 CST 2009

on 2/28/09 7:16 PM, Samuel Leon said:

> I am trying to stay below $100.  The only thing I have found is the ALIX
> stuff.

The price is higher than you want to pay, but I still really like the
Soekris net4501s (see
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD6302294168.html> and
<http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm>), and the corresponding WRAP (see
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD9671326815.html> and
<http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm>) units.  However, I just discovered
that the WRAP boards are no longer being made, and they suggest the ALIX
boards that you've already found (for the benefit of others, that's at

The net4501 is powerful enough to handle about 50Mbps as a
router/firewall, and it comes with three 10/100 Mbit ethernet ports.
They have other models with PC card slots (intended to be used as
wireless access points, in addition to the router/firewall function),
more CPU power, etc....  The net4801 can do full wire-speed 100Mbps
router/firewall packet filtering.

Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out
LinkedIn Profile:                 my friend bigsbytracks on YouTube at
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>    http://preview.tinyurl.com/bigsbytracks