[SATLUG] Board for embedded linux

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 28 23:59:00 CST 2009

on 2/28/09 7:16 PM, Samuel Leon said:

> I am trying to stay below $100.  The only thing I have found is the ALIX
> stuff.

The price is higher than you want to pay, but I still really like the
Soekris net4501s (see
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD6302294168.html> and
<http://www.soekris.com/net4501.htm>), and the corresponding WRAP (see
<http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD9671326815.html> and
<http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm>) units.  However, I just discovered
that the WRAP boards are no longer being made, and they suggest the ALIX
boards that you've already found (for the benefit of others, that's at
<http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm>).

The net4501 is powerful enough to handle about 50Mbps as a
router/firewall, and it comes with three 10/100 Mbit ethernet ports.
They have other models with PC card slots (intended to be used as
wireless access points, in addition to the router/firewall function),
more CPU power, etc....  The net4801 can do full wire-speed 100Mbps
router/firewall packet filtering.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out