[SATLUG] converting to the GNU/Linux way

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Thu Jan 1 22:25:50 CST 2009

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 12:56:14 pm skolars wrote:
[...]
> I am willing to bet Unix admins all over the world can send in times
> that are totally unknown in the M$ world.

Yes, but uptime on Windows boxes really is a different ball game.  Not just
because that platform is less stable, but because most critical patches do
require some amount of rebooting.  So the paradigm of good admin = high
uptime is flipped in the MS world.  High uptime in Windows means that you've
never applied all of your patches and rebooted... thus your system is
vulnerable.  Not so in the UN*X world.

But really... back in the UN*X world... over the years, instead of doing the
hole "my uptime is bigger than yours" ego stroke.. I
prefer to share painful stories of lost uptime! Much more fun... :)

Here are a few of mine...

Had to move my server location within the datacenter:
        http://theweeks.org/tmp/MINE/uptime-2003-12.png
        http://theweeks.org/tmp/MINE/uptime-2003-12_ouch.png

or

The time I made a hot-plug, in-line UPS for another forced move of my lunchbox
server so that I wouldn't lose my 1yr+ of uptime... :
        http://theweeks.org/toms-stuff/pics/psi-web-xfer-2.jpg
Just after that photo was taken of the box actually running on my hacked 12/5v
inline UPS gel-cell, I accidentally shorted +5 to GND and BEEP.. it
rebooted.. Ouch..

<sigh>... all those jiffies lost...

Tweeks