[SATLUG] For those who have a need for typing special characters

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 23:41:54 CST 2009

This might be old news to some of you, but it was a good find for me. If this
has been covered in the list before, please forgive me.

For those who may need to use characters such as: ñäëïöüáéíóúàèìòùâêîôû etc...

I searched google for an easy way to use special characters in Linux without
having to open a Character Map tool and copy/paste the character.
For years, I had always just used the KDE character map utility.
I finally found a post where someone suggested running 'scim'. So I
installed 'scim' and 'scim-gtk'.
After running scim, a configuration utility runs in the tray, and the special
characters are available with some very easy keystrokes.
For example:
The " key is assigned to umlaut, so for an umlaut character such as ö, you
would type " followed by o. If you want a capital, like Ö, you type the "
first, then O ( or keep SHIFT held down after typing the " )
Similarily, you would use ' followed by o to get ó, ` followed by o to get ò,
~ followed by n to get ñ, ^ followed by i to get î, etc.

If you want to use the regular quotes, tilde, etc. then use space after the
character. So then " followed by spacebar results in simply "

I still need the character map for more unusual ones like:
I'm not sure if the above characters will show up properly, but they look fine
to me.