[SATLUG] From Fortune

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 2 17:23:27 CST 2009

Aside from the idea that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing,
I'd much rather folks fix their own PCs than waiting until they can find
some dumb sod to do it for them. When my kids bring their friends over
and they see the PCs I built, either they or their parents often ask me
to fix their PC. I usually tell them they can't afford me.  I work on
enterprise UNIX and Linux boxen and consider PCs little more than smart
terminals.  This is not a looking down my snoot point of view - I've
just spent so many years working on these things that I don't enjoy
working on Macs or PCs at all anymore.

I had a job about 7 years ago where the company CEO had a sick IBM Think
Station an home that he expected me to drive over and fix every time he
downloaded a new virus.  I overlooked it the first couple of times, but
after the third visit I started calling the headhunters and got a new
job.

OTOH, I thoroughly enjoyed the last Linux installfest at SAC and was
able to help people do something useful with their PC hardware.  The
difference is our customers there can come to the list for help and
don't expect the installer to be on the hook for all their maintenance
requirements. If you fix someone's Windows box or Mac, they expect you
to work on it for them whenever the bogon flux hits them.

Al Castanoli