[SATLUG] From Fortune

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sat Jan 3 10:16:15 CST 2009

Ernest, I think you (and Mr. Lucky) are mixing three disparate areas of
knowledge here.  First, there's the fundamental scientific concepts upon
which technology is based, then there's the specific implementation of
those concepts.  Finally, once the technology is actually built and
marketed to the world (be it for individuals or large corporations),
there is the knowledge needed to utilize that technology to it's maximum
capabilities.

The first area is the kind of stuff that's taught in schools -- basic
principles and general approaches to certain types of problems.  I think
these concepts _ARE_ the kind of knowledge that should not be kept from
the world at large for the reasons you mention below, unless of course
they are inherently dangerous (think nuclear weapons, although even that
genie has been let out of its bottle now).  Something like "Transactions
on Information Theory" falls squarely into this category.  Even if it
weren't, the fact that it would have to be taught in U.S. universities
in order to get our own kids up-to-speed on those topics, and that
foreign students attend those same universities, that information
wouldn't be kept 'secret' for long.

The second area of knowledge is the stuff that would be covered by
patents and copyrights, simply kept confidential as a "trade secret" --
computer code, the recipes for specific composite materials or special
metal alloys, IC chip and circuit board designs, manufacturing
techniques, etc.  The companies that developed those designs or
technologies spent a lot of hard-earned money in R&D and they deserve to
recoup their investments.

The third area of knowledge is the kind of thing that the manufacturers
would WANT to be disseminated because it facilitates their customers in
actually using their products, and encourages others to buy their
products, because people will know what they can potentially DO with
those products, even if it wasn't something that was originally
intended.  I think even Apple likes the idea that people come up with
hacks to the iPhone for new ways to use them because it tells other
people "here's something else you can do with it ...".

The mainstream consumer computer/technology magazines usually focus on
the third type of information, and the technical journals for
professionals (i.e., scientists, engineers, et. al.) concentrate on the
first category, and sometimes topics in the second (for patents that
have expired or methods/processes that have made their way into the
public domain).  Publishing either of these kinds of information does
not constitute giving away the store or undermine the practice of
engineering (whatever the discipline) because the proof of the state of
engineering in the U.S. is in the products we produce.  If we don't
maintain our standards and lead in the marketplace, THAT will be our
undoing -- think of Toyota's reputation for quality vs. the troubles
being faced by GM, Chrysler, & (to a lesser extent, because their
quality is perceived to be better) Ford.

That's just my 10¢.

Al Lesmerises