[SATLUG] Free WiFi and the law

John Champion satlugacct at jchampion.com
Sat Jan 10 21:05:06 CST 2009

the problem that I know about setting up free Wifi is twofold...
1) It is a violation of TW Cable's policy for you to share your connection
with third parties.
2) Even if you keep meticulous records, you are setting yourself up for some
sort of bad attack...some ne'er do well uploading illegal materials on your
network and leaving you holding the bag.

While I have no doubt, your intentions are good...you would need to pay for
a TW/ATT license that would allow you to relay third party connections and
you would also need to block illegal materials. I know that that last part
sucks. Bad people ruin good things for many people.

Someone...please correct me if my information is outdated or just flat out
wrong.

Thanks!
john