[SATLUG] Grande Comunications down last night

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 12:55:28 CST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jennie Haywood wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Todd W. Bucy
>> <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>wrote:
>>
>>> at about 5:00 pm I started noticing that we were having problems with
>>> our Internet service by 6:00pm we noticed that our cable tv service was
>>> down.  upon calling Grande they said that they were currently having
>>> technical difficulties in the San Antonio Area.  Service returned to
>>> normal by about 8:30 pm. Anyone on the list have any idea what happened?
>
>> I don't know what happened, but  the service was sporadic for those hours.
>> Everything was out - internet, phone and cable tv for about an hour.
>
> This is exactly the problem I have with internet based phone systems like
> Vontage or Time Warner's digital phone.  I feel the most reliable phone is
> still copper from AT&T.
>
>  -- Bruce

Copper is going the way of the dinosaur.  With AT&T pushing U-Verse,
the only copper involved is the possibly 100 yard run from the FiOS
box in the neighborhood to your house.  Up here in Dallas, AT&T only
provides 8 hours of battery backup in the event of power loss.  People
without U-Verse may not have copper either .. since the late 1990s the
telcos have been running fiber from the CO to neighborhoods, then
plugging into multiplexers to provide copper to the houses (one of the
reasons DSL provisioning sucks).

Personally I've never had an outage that has affected my VoIP for the
year or so I've been in this location, but I also know that there is
no SLA from Time Warner to keep my Internet access up for my phone.
In San Antonio there were frequent cases where the power went out in
the neighborhood which took down the cable head-end .. I had battery
backup on my stuff, but there was nothing alive on the other side.
After Time Warner started selling digital phones, they added backup
power to the head-end and a battery pack in the actual cable modem
(not sure of how long it lasts).

Unfortunately Internet access is not simply a convenience or a luxury
now, but something that people may depend on for their lives.  ISPs
need to take this into consideration when they build their
infrastructure and setup SLAs.

-Henry