[SATLUG] Free WiFi and the law

Aaron Hackney techgeeks at aaronhackney.com
Sun Jan 11 17:54:37 CST 2009

Brad Knowles wrote:
> on 1/10/09 8:54 PM, Samuel Leon said:
>
>> use this http://www.lessnetworks.com (costs money, their website
>> mentions no specifics about how they will "protect" you)
>
> The folks at Less Networks have their offices here in Austin, and I've
> talked to them about their products.  They really do know their stuff,
> and their software is used all over the world to provide free wifi
> access at many different types of establishments.  Even the City of
> Austin uses their software to provide free networking in their
> building, which the Austin Linux Group makes use of at their weekly
> meetings.
>
> Their website is not the best, but I'd encourage you to actually call
> them and talk to them about this process.
Make sure you have a CYA Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Google it and you
can find dozens of them. This will keep you safe from a LOT of headaches
and give you the right to deny users if the need arises. Require
agreeing to the AUP for network access. Nothing is litigation proof
these days, but it doesn't hurt to CYA!

-A

Aaron Hackney
(210) 325-2196