[SATLUG] 'Woman Blames Dell for missing classes' because of Ubuntu

Jose Leiva leivajose at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 09:59:36 CST 2009

This morning I was surfing Digg.com and found this interesting article from
Madison, WI. A student who bought a laptop from Dell that came preloaded
with Ubuntu had to drop her classes due to not being able to load her
Verizon wireless drivers and not able to install MS Office which is a
requirement for one of her online classes.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9667184

I think this is sad because of the learning curve going from Windows to
Linux and the lack of LUG awareness around her area.  My guess is that she
was expecting everything to "just" work like how she is accustummed to.
This is something we have to keep in our heads for the upcoming
events(install fest, computer show) since there are many users similar to
this student.

-Jose