[SATLUG] 'Woman Blames Dell for missing classes' because of Ubuntu

Crandall, Sean scrandall at jw.com
Thu Jan 15 10:24:15 CST 2009

Reading the story, I don't think it's necessarily a bad ending.  Verizon
sent somebody out to get her internet installation working, and the
college agreed to accept papers from her software (I'm assuming Open
Office).  The real problem is *this is what should have happened in the
first place.*  Maybe Verizon will think about making things easier for
non-Windows users, and maybe her school will think about just accepting
homework as a PDF or something.  And maybe when all her classmates get
hammered by a virus that doesn't affect her, she'll say, "Not a problem
for me.  I use Ubuntu."  A little optimistic maybe, but not impossible.

One thing bothered me though.  How can installing a different OS be a
warranty-voiding infraction?  That has no effect on the hardware.

Sean C. Crandall
Registered Patent Attorney
Jackson Walker L.L.P.
112 E. Pecan Suite 2400