[SATLUG] 'Woman Blames Dell for missing classes' because of Ubuntu

Crandall, Sean scrandall at jw.com
Thu Jan 15 11:52:23 CST 2009

I'd comment on the anti-competitive nature of this particular practice,
but the Sherman Act has never deterred Microsoft before.

Easy workaround:  If you need warranty service, ghost your Linux
install, pop in the Restore Disk to fill your HD with adware so that
Dell is sure this is a Genuine Windows(TM) install.  Let the service guy
fix your computer.  Reimage.  Done.  The ease of this solution suggests
why it should be unrelated to a hardware warranty (unless they're giving
you a warranty for Windows itself, which would be a good way to bankrupt
a company).

Sean C. Crandall
Registered Patent Attorney
Jackson Walker L.L.P.