[SATLUG] printing, firewalling in GNU/Linux, and FreeBSD

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 05:24:18 CST 2009

> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 01:05:28 -0600 From: Tweeks <
> tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org>
> ... Dell 3000cn network/PCL6 color laser printers ... you're probably
> running out of toner by now... 2006, the stock/OEM toner
> cartridges were rather pricey ($60-70 ea) ... deals out there on the
> non-OEM/import color toner cartridges starting at around $22 each:
> <http://www.4inkjets.com/Compatible,Dell,310-5726,HY-Black,Laser-Toner,945,product.html>
> They even "rechip" the carts for you.  Some will even sell you chips and
> raw toner so you can refill them yourself. :) ...
> Tweeks

Hi Tom,

This is fine if you don't care about breaking your printer warranty nor
diminishing your print quality. If a customer speaks with me about print
quality issues, I check the consumables first. Print quality troubleshooting
can get very interesting. I usually don't see this kind of issue, as most of
the people I deal with care too much about print quality to chance something
like this.

It is possible to save money on printing supplies/printers/scanners, but it
really comes down to how much someone wants to spend, as opposed to how much
they want to spend later, remember the "you can pay me now or you can pay me
later" slogan. Also, just like dealing with ISPs, it's good to know how to
deal with your vendor. It's good to know the vendors procedures as best you
can.  I'm pretty fortunate in that I can generally take my time and educate
my customers as thoroughly as I want.

---
In the past I would use a firewall script under GNU/Linux, a long time ago,
and I'm currently trying out the latest pfSense, (
http://distrowatch.com/pfsense). "pfSense is a free, open source customized
distribution of FreeBSD <http://www.freebsd.org/> tailored for use as a
firewall and router." I'm very pleased with it.

I like the way firewalling is handled under Knoppix, but it's not the
easiest distribution to keep updated, although I've tried to copy the way it
does it. Trying to get it to keep the firewalling rules is another thing. I
wish Ubuntu would do some of the things Knoppix does. Then again, I may want
to try Scientific Linux and Slackware, as some things in Ubuntu aren't ready
for prime time.

When I have a little time, I'm going to try FreeBSD 7x. I've gotten away
from virtualization for the time being, and am just switching around hard
drives.

I'm hoping to do some community education for newbies, and I might want to
ask you for advice, Tom, if that's okay with you. I'm looking for a venue to
give a presentation to, and am wondering if I should try to get someone to
loan me a projector first (I can't afford a projector). There's so little
going on up in my neck of the woods that maybe I need to plan a meeting,
publicize it and give it some time and see who shows up.

greetings from the very cold great white north,
Daniel