[SATLUG] Where else is FiOS?

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sat Jan 17 05:49:20 CST 2009

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Geoff <geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
>

>> Got this from a friend in Garland, TX.  Included me in a blanket "I've
>> changed my email address from xyz to abc" message.
>>
>> I inquired about his "T-100" line...
>>

>>> well, it's Verizon's FiOS system. They upgraded their DSL to fiber
>>> optics. It's not everywhere yet. We waited 2 years to make it into our
>>> neighborhood. I got the bundled package to save a few $$. Was on
>>> DirecTV and Time Warner phone and internet. This saves me about $100 a
>>> month and the performance is GREATLY improved. Picture is better and
>>> much more reliable than DirecTV. There is only so much bandwidth and
>>> signal strength from a satellite 23,000 miles away. When DirecTV went
>>> to 100 channels od HD, something had to give. Fiber optics doesn't
>>> have the BW issues that DirecTV does. Internet is way faster, too.
>>>
>> Question is:
>> Where else is this available?
>>
>> -Geoff (Baja Spring, TX [aka North Houston])
> Dale Crummie wrote:
>> Well you'll probably get there before we do here in SA, TW has this town
>> locked down in exclusivity **contracts that keep City Council real happy to
>> maintain.  Hopefully one day we'll get some people in office that don't live
>> in the right neighborhoods and something will be done.

Well that doesn't really answer my question.  I know all about San
Antonio, being as I lived there since 1958.  I only moved to Houston
this past August, and have been subscribe to SATLUG since 2001.  That's
when I started running SuSE Linux, 7.0 (Thanks to Ed Coates).

Now that I'm out and away from the iron fisted TW/Roadrunner and in a
market with more 'options', my question, I suppose, should have been
more direct.  Is the Verizon service available here in Houston?  There
are members of SATLUG that are scattered throughout the country.  From
Seattle, WA to Chicago, IL to Atlanta, GA.  I figured someone else,
somewhere else had a better idea of what Verizon was doing, these days.

>From what he described, it sounds better than U-verse could ever hope to be.

Naturally, connecting a Linux box to incoming internet should be a
relatively simple thing.  One would hope.

-Geoff