[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Matt Graham matthewalan77 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:02:43 CST 2009

Hello all,

So this past weekend, we cleaned out the storage shed.  Some of the
dinosaurs we found were quite impressive.  The one that caught my eye
was the Panasonic Toughbook CF-M33.  For those of you who are not
familiar with this model, let me tell you a little about it.  It is a
Mini Semi-Rugged notebook with the following features.

Windows 98SE
4GB HHD
64MB RAM - Upgradeable to 96MB
1 USB port
2 PCMCIA slots

VIA port replicator
1 VGA
1 PS2
1 Parallel
1 Serial

My initial desire was to get Linux loaded on this beast and have fail
miserable 3 days in a row.  Here is what I have tried so far.  Just
trying to get WIN98 to recognize anything I connect to the machine is
going top be the death of me.

Toshiba USB FDD Kit (PA3109U-3FDD) - NO LUCK
3Com Megahertz 10Mbps LAN PCMCIA Card (3CCE589EC) - NO LUCK
3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PCMCIA Card (3CCFE575CT - NO LUCK
Various Flash Drives - NO LUCK
Panasonic USB DVD-RW Drive - NO LUCK

I is a mystery how anything beyond the OS was ever loaded on this
machine.  I even tried going the step on ubuntu's website to make a
bootable USB drive and could not even get syslinux to work properly.  I
realy want Linux (preferably Ubuntu) loaded on this so I can tether it
to my moto Q for Internet and watch dvdrips from a flash drive.  Anyone
have any ideas?  Is there and install-fest coming up soon that I could
bring it to?  Please help bring more out of this tired old windoze98 mini.

Thanks all,

Matt Graham