[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 23:26:57 CST 2009

Matt Graham wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> So this past weekend, we cleaned out the storage shed.  Some of the
> dinosaurs we found were quite impressive.  The one that caught my eye
> was the Panasonic Toughbook CF-M33.  For those of you who are not
> familiar with this model, let me tell you a little about it.  It is a
> Mini Semi-Rugged notebook with the following features.
>
> Windows 98SE
> 4GB HHD
> 64MB RAM - Upgradeable to 96MB
> 1 USB port
> 2 PCMCIA slots

With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able to run KDE or
Gnome.

You don't say the type/speed of the CPU, but you don't mention a CD.  Something
that old would probably not be able to boot from a USB port, so you'd have to
load from floppy.  You might want to try Tom's Root Boot Floppy -
http://www.toms.net/rb/ - and see if it will boot that.

If that works, it looks like a good candidate for Linux From Scratch.

   -- Bruce