[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Matt Graham matthewalan77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:42:28 CST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> So this past weekend, we cleaned out the storage shed.  Some of the
>> dinosaurs we found were quite impressive.  The one that caught my eye
>> was the Panasonic Toughbook CF-M33.  For those of you who are not
>> familiar with this model, let me tell you a little about it.  It is a
>> Mini Semi-Rugged notebook with the following features.
>>
>> Windows 98SE
>> 4GB HHD
>> 64MB RAM - Upgradeable to 96MB
>> 1 USB port
>> 2 PCMCIA slots
>
> With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able to
> run KDE or Gnome.
>
> You don't say the type/speed of the CPU, but you don't mention a CD.
> Something that old would probably not be able to boot from a USB port,
> so you'd have to load from floppy.  You might want to try Tom's Root
> Boot Floppy - http://www.toms.net/rb/ - and see if it will boot that.
>
> If that works, it looks like a good candidate for Linux From Scratch.
>
>   -- Bruce
Not sure of the processor speed but cannot imagine it being that great.
The is no CDROM drive.  Only the connections  I listed and the the port
available through the attached port replicator.

VIA port replicator
1 VGA
1 PS2
1 Parallel
1 Serial

    "With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able
to run KDE or Gnome."

I am not sure I understand this assumption since I have laptops and PC's
with far more ports and peripherals that run gnome just fine.  I guess
CPU and RAM make a big difference.  However, the absence of a GUI would
probably ruin it for me.  Is it a frisbee or is it worth trying something?

Thanks,

Matt