[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Matt Graham matthewalan77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:45:47 CST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> So this past weekend, we cleaned out the storage shed.  Some of the
>> dinosaurs we found were quite impressive.  The one that caught my eye
>> was the Panasonic Toughbook CF-M33.  For those of you who are not
>> familiar with this model, let me tell you a little about it.  It is a
>> Mini Semi-Rugged notebook with the following features.
>>
>> Windows 98SE
>> 4GB HHD
>> 64MB RAM - Upgradeable to 96MB
>> 1 USB port
>> 2 PCMCIA slots
>
> With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able to
> run KDE or Gnome.
>
> You don't say the type/speed of the CPU, but you don't mention a CD.
> Something that old would probably not be able to boot from a USB port,
> so you'd have to load from floppy.  You might want to try Tom's Root
> Boot Floppy - http://www.toms.net/rb/ - and see if it will boot that.
>
> If that works, it looks like a good candidate for Linux From Scratch.
>
>   -- Bruce
Cut off from my original message.

    My initial desire was to get Linux loaded on this beast and have
    fail miserable 3 days in a row.  Here is what I have tried so far.
    Just trying to get WIN98 to recognize anything I connect to the
    machine is going top be the death of me.

    Toshiba USB FDD Kit (PA3109U-3FDD) - NO LUCK
    3Com Megahertz 10Mbps LAN PCMCIA Card (3CCE589EC) - NO LUCK
    3Com Megahertz 10/100 LAN PCMCIA Card (3CCFE575CT - NO LUCK
    Various Flash Drives - NO LUCK
    Panasonic USB DVD-RW Drive - NO LUCK

    I should mention that win98 found all of these devices, but I could
    load the drivers.  I need the floppy drive to load the PCMCIA
    drivers but the floppy drivers were not avaiable and so on.  It's a
    vicious cycle.

Matt