[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Matt Graham matthewalan77 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:47:14 CST 2009

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> So this past weekend, we cleaned out the storage shed.  Some of the
>> dinosaurs we found were quite impressive.  The one that caught my eye
>> was the Panasonic Toughbook CF-M33.  For those of you who are not
>> familiar with this model, let me tell you a little about it.  It is a
>> Mini Semi-Rugged notebook with the following features.
>>
>> Windows 98SE
>> 4GB HHD
>> 64MB RAM - Upgradeable to 96MB
>> 1 USB port
>> 2 PCMCIA slots
>
> With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able to
> run KDE or Gnome.
>
> You don't say the type/speed of the CPU, but you don't mention a CD.
> Something that old would probably not be able to boot from a USB port,
> so you'd have to load from floppy.  You might want to try Tom's Root
> Boot Floppy - http://www.toms.net/rb/ - and see if it will boot that.
>
> If that works, it looks like a good candidate for Linux From Scratch.
>
>   -- Bruce
also cut off my original message.

    I is a mystery how anything beyond the OS was ever loaded on this
    machine.  I even tried going the step on ubuntu's website to make a
    bootable USB drive and could not even get syslinux to work
    properly.  I realy want Linux (preferably Ubuntu) loaded on this so
    I can tether it to my moto Q for Internet and watch dvdrips from a
    flash drive.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is there and install-fest
    coming up soon that I could bring it to?  Please help bring more out
    of this tired old windoze98 mini.

Thanks all,

Matt Graham