[SATLUG] symbolic links and permissions

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sat Jan 24 21:52:22 CST 2009

Curious problem.

My host drive on my server that I do -not- have physical access to (it's
in San Antonio and I'm in Houston) is running low on space.

One directory in /home, I found, was holding 5g.  There are 2 other
volumes in the machine, with plenty of space available.

So, I figured 'hmmm... mv the files to the larger volume, create a
symlink from /home/{username}/public_html/directory to

as root, in the cli, the symlink worked.  Checking it online, I continue
to get "Access forbidden".

I've chown'ed the directories, recursively, to {username}:users.  Still
have the issue.

the www host program is apache-2.

The only thing I've yet to do is re-start apache, but I'm asking this
here... do I have to?

Before someone asks "is apache set to follow symlinks?" I'm going to say
'yes, I think'.

 :> less mod_userdir.conf
# the UserDir directive is actually used inside the virtual hosts, to
        # have more control
        UserDir public_html

        <Directory /home/*/public_html/>

                AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
                Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch

                <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
                        Order allow,deny
                        Allow from all

                <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>