[SATLUG] $200 Laptops Break a Business Model

Crandall, Sean scrandall at jw.com
Mon Jan 26 12:32:16 CST 2009

Borries said:

> > "You also understand and agree that use of the magicJack device and
> > Software will include advertisements and that these
> advertisements are
> > necessary for the magicJack device to work ... Our computers may
> > analyze the phone numbers you call in order to improve the relevance
> > of the ads."  (http://www.magicjack.com/tos/)
>
> The ads flash inline on their softphone app. Frankly, I haven't looked
> at them yet. I'm not concerned if they look at my phone numbers I am
> calling, knock yourself out, I can't imagine any useful information
> on that - and not that AT&T and other phone companies aren't doing
> the same thing, who knows. I am just not that paranoid.

Like you said, AT&T keeps a list of the numbers you dial anyway.  I
don't do criminal law, but I seem to remember from law school that there
was a case that said the police can use a device (PIN device?) to
capture phone numbers you dial without a warrant or probable cause.  So
you should just assume that information is non-private.

(This post, as always, is not legal advice).

Sean Crandall
Registered Patent Attorney
Jackson Walker LLP