[SATLUG] $200 Laptops Break a Business Model

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 26 20:36:05 CST 2009

Since everyone else has been commenting on the service and not really
addressing one of your main questions below ;), I'll chime in here.

I recall a few e-mails being passed around the group (I think it was
last year or maybe 2007) about very small computers along with a link of
one someone had found and wanted opinions.  That prompted me to do a
little looking around and I came across an ultra micro computer that
looked to be barely big enough to plug in an RJ-45 jack at one end, and
maybe about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long.  I don't recall if it had a USB port
(I think it might have), but I can't believe it would draw more than a
couple of Watts given it's size.  It supposedly ran a stripped-down
version of Linux from a solid-state data storage chip, if I remember
right.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have kept a bookmark to where I
found it, but I _can_ say it's out there.

Also, I came across some other very small computers that were just big
enough to house a CD/DVD drive with a fairly full complement of I/O
ports (ps2 for mouse & keyboard, DIN-15 for video, USB, etc.).  I would
expect the power requirements to be pretty low here as well.

Al Lesmerises