[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Matt Graham matthewalan77 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 21:00:41 CST 2009

mike wrote:
> Matt Graham wrote:
>> Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>>> With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able to
>>> run KDE or Gnome.
>>>
>>> You don't say the type/speed of the CPU, but you don't mention a
>>> CD.  Something that old would probably not be able to boot from a
>>> USB port, so you'd have to load from floppy.  You might want to try
>>> Tom's Root Boot Floppy - http://www.toms.net/rb/ - and see if it
>>> will boot that.
>>>
>>> If that works, it looks like a good candidate for Linux From Scratch.
>>>
>>>   -- Bruce
>> Not sure of the processor speed but cannot imagine it being that
>> great. The is no CDROM drive.  Only the connections  I listed and the
>> the port available through the attached port replicator.
>>
>> VIA port replicator
>> 1 VGA
>> 1 PS2
>> 1 Parallel
>> 1 Serial
>>
>>    "With this much hardware, there is no way you are going to be able
>> to run KDE or Gnome."
>>
>> I am not sure I understand this assumption since I have laptops and
>> PC's with far more ports and peripherals that run gnome just fine.  I
>> guess CPU and RAM make a big difference.  However, the absence of a
>> GUI would probably ruin it for me.  Is it a frisbee or is it worth
>> trying something?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Matt
> Quick google search indicates its a 266mhz MMX class machine.
>
> Mike WN5PMR
UPDATED!!!!

After I left the installfest this morning feeling unaccomplished, I was
determined to so get somewhere with this machine.  I rushed straight out
to altex and picked up a null-modem cable.  A little configuration and a
hyperterminal installation on my server 2003 machine and we are
transferring the NIC driver as I am typing this.  It is dogmeat slow but
at least I am getting somewhere.  Will keep everyone updated as i make
progress.  I hope to have ubuntu running in some form on this machine by
next weekend.