[SATLUG] Panasonic CF-M33

Samuel Leon satlug at net153.net
Sat Jan 31 21:58:40 CST 2009

Matt Graham wrote:

> After I left the installfest this morning feeling unaccomplished, I was
> determined to so get somewhere with this machine.  I rushed straight out
> to altex and picked up a null-modem cable.  A little configuration and a
> hyperterminal installation on my server 2003 machine and we are
> transferring the NIC driver as I am typing this.  It is dogmeat slow but
> at least I am getting somewhere.  Will keep everyone updated as i make
> progress.  I hope to have ubuntu running in some form on this machine by
> next weekend.

Interesting.  I think your best bet would be to try and download the
windows based installer for Debian and try to start the install process
from windows http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

Although ubuntu has a similar project: http://wubi.sourceforge.net/ I
think ubuntu will be too much for a 266mhz processor and only 64mb of
ram.  I once tried to boot a live cd of ubuntu 6.06 on a 350mhz machine
with only 128mb of ram and it took about 5 minutes as the machine simply
ran out of ram while only trying to boot.  Installing more ram took the
boot time down to a couple of minutes.

With debian you should be able to have some control over what the
installer installs, although everything might just me hard coded in that
exe installer, I don't know since I have never used it.  But yea, just
being able to do a minimal install of debian without a gui and being
able to boot it to nothing but a terminal might take alot of work or a
stroke of luck.

But worth a try.

Sam