[SATLUG] Video Cards

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Jul 1 05:58:13 CDT 2009

Peter Cross wrote:
> OK after looking at Toms hardware and Googling the crap out of it I am no
> further then where I started.
>
> Which has better HDMI support ATI or NVidia?

After much trial and error I got the ATI driver on my laptop working fine.
However, you have to use their own GUI app to set/change the resolutions,
with nVIDIA I had full control through the xorg file. I found the configuration
of the nVIDIA cards much more straightforward for someone who is used to deal
with xorg.conf files. I also preferred the 2-monitor behavior for situations
where the 2 monitors have different resolutions. On the nVIDIA driver I was
about to use all of the 1920x1200 screen space in clone mode when the second
monitor was only 1600x1200. In the ATI card the clone mode stretches the 1600x1200
over the 1920x1200 space which distorts the aspect ratio.

With my old nVIDIA card I was able to have some extra "private" screen space I could
use during presentations that was invisible to the audience. I absolutely loved that.
I would have never switched to ATI, but my laptop broke and Dell gave me a free
upgraded replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement came with a ATI. If I had a
choice, I definitely would go for nVIDIA.

-Borries