[SATLUG] Video Cards

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Jul 1 15:27:38 CDT 2009

redpill wrote:
> Possible but I dont think it would be my IRQ's as I have never messed with those settings in my bios.
> I may just roll the os back to 8.04 or 8.10 and be done with it.  why must I constantly be drawn in by the shinny new distro release!
> Todd
>
>> IRQ's.

been saying that for a while, now.  Why do I need to bleed all over the
cutting edge of technology?  Bragging rights?

Server runs openSuSE 10.3, and is stable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

however, I'd still check the interrupt request lines for the two devices.
If the video card is killing the audio card, but yet the audio card
comes back when the video card is outta there, then I'd say chances are
greater than normal that the video card -thinks- it's grabbing an empty
IRQ, and since the video comes up before the audio, the video card would
be correct.  However, when the audio card comes up and is configured to
use the same irq as it had the -last- time it was up and running, then
the audio card complains very loudly, very briefly then throws it's
little electrons in the air and says "screw it!  I ain't fighting -this-
battle!".   The audio card can't operate without the irq it thinks it's
set for.

I -would- say "betcha a dollar to a do-nut hole" but have you seen the
price of them things, lately?  Just a regular do-nut, in an HEB is >$1.oo..

-Geoff