[SATLUG] Video Cards

redpill toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Jul 1 18:07:57 CDT 2009

Ill bottom post this just for u Geoff...lol

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 15:27 -0500, Geoff wrote:
> redpill wrote:
> > Possible but I dont think it would be my IRQ's as I have never messed with those settings in my bios.
> > I may just roll the os back to 8.04 or 8.10 and be done with it.  why must I constantly be drawn in by the shinny new distro release!
> > Todd
> >
> >> IRQ's.
>
> been saying that for a while, now.  Why do I need to bleed all over the
> cutting edge of technology?  Bragging rights?
>
> Server runs openSuSE 10.3, and is stable.
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> however, I'd still check the interrupt request lines for the two devices.
> If the video card is killing the audio card, but yet the audio card
> comes back when the video card is outta there, then I'd say chances are
> greater than normal that the video card -thinks- it's grabbing an empty
> IRQ, and since the video comes up before the audio, the video card would
> be correct.  However, when the audio card comes up and is configured to
> use the same irq as it had the -last- time it was up and running, then
> the audio card complains very loudly, very briefly then throws it's
> little electrons in the air and says "screw it!  I ain't fighting -this-
> battle!".   The audio card can't operate without the irq it thinks it's
> set for.
>
> I -would- say "betcha a dollar to a do-nut hole" but have you seen the
> price of them things, lately?  Just a regular do-nut, in an HEB is >$1.oo..
>

> -Geoff

hmmm...that would explain the white noise that I heard when I attempted
a restart earlier.  It lasted about 3-5 secs.  upon boot-up I heard a
lot of pops and clicks but dead silence once the Nvidia logo pop-ed up.
Guess I'll be filing that bug report after all.

Todd