[SATLUG] Video Cards

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Jul 1 22:24:31 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 11:45:24 am Bruce Dubbs wrote:
[...]
> That's true, but its one reason why Linux still has a problem with general
> acceptance with non-techie computer users.  I think Ubuntu and maybe RedHat
> have created a work around if you stay with the standard install/update
> process, but in general its a problem.

I'm surprised that in all this chatter about Linux graphic card support, that
no one seems to have mentioned Intel GPU chipset support.  Sure.. I love
nVidia just as the next geek.  It's pretty polished.  But it's also
non-free(dom)/non-open source.  The only give binaries.   While Intel is the
only vendor who's really been playing on the open source field. I'm surprised
that "Dr. LFS" (Bruce) didn't mention Intel as the most open source friendly
GPU vendor.  Even as far back as 2006:

http://news.cnet.com/Intel-aims-for-open-source-graphics-advantage/2100-7344_3-6103941.html

Tweeks